Wage Protection

All about Wage Protection in Zambia, Wage protection and the Law in Zambia, Salaries and Wages and Protection and more on Mywage Zambia.

Wages, allowances and any bonuses that are given by the employer to an employee, in the form of money, are protected by the law. Provisions of the Protection of Wages as contained in the Employment Act apply to all workers including Domestic Workers. 

What does the law say?

The law stipulates that all wages contained in Contracts of Service either Oral or Written are to be paid in the currency of the Republic of Zambia, the Kwacha.  The law states further that wages are to be paid in Kwacha directly to the employee. 

Does the law allow payment of wages in other forms?

Yes. Provided that an employee makes a request in writing or as agreed in the provisions of any collective agreement, payment of wages may be made in any of the following ways:

  • Payment into an account at a bank or building society, being an account standing in the name of the person to whom the payment is due, or an account standing in the name of that person jointly with one or more other persons
  • Payment by postal order
  • Payment by money order
  • Payment by cheque

Can wages be made to an unauthorised person? 

No. The law allows only for payment of wages to be made directly to the employee. However, in rare circumstances wage payments can be made to a person duly authorised in writing by an employee. 

Is it legal to pay wages to people owed money by any employee? 

No. It is common practice in Zambia that some employers pay wages directly to people owed money by employees. Under the Protection of Wages, it is unlawful and illegal for an employer to pay wages directly to any unduly authorised persons even if they are owed that money by an employee.

An employer will under no circumstances pay wages to a spouse, children or any persons owed money by an employee without the employee’s written authorisation.

When and where should wages be paid?

Wherever possible, wages should be paid on work days and at or near the place of employment. Wages must be paid within the agreed time frame and on a working day in situations where the agreed date falls on a holiday or non-working day.

Payment of wages should not be made in any shop, store or canteen or in places where intoxicating liquor is sold, except in the case of employees employed to work in such an environment. 

What do I do if my wages are paid to an authorised person? 

Consultant your Trade Union if you are a unionised employee. For non-unionised employees, engage your employer in peaceful and amicable discussions to reach a solution that works within the law. If no amicable solution is reached, report the matter to the Office of Labour Commissioner or seek legal advice from the Industrial and Labour Relations Court.

Read more

Find out more about Clever Work Tips in Zambia.